These guidelines were developed by FOAM, then posted along several Montana rivers in 1994 through the cooperative effort of FOAM and the MT Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks (FWP). They are now incorporated into the fishing regulations handbook FWP issues to anglers who buy a license.
Join our members in following these commonsense guidelines
- Floating anglers should yield to bank and wade fishermen.
- Wade fishermen should yield to boats when there is only one navigable channel.
- Drift anglers should never pass another boat to cut in on water being fished.
- Avoid wading in spawning areas.
- Pick up trash, even if it’s not yours.
- Motorboats: no wakes please
- Keep access points and ramps open by launching boats quickly.
- Conserve the resource. Know the fishing regulations.
- Do not trespass on private land. Stay below the high water mark.
- Don’t let your actions affect someone else’s fishing pleasure. Treat everyone as you would like to be treated, but understand that they may not share your sense of ethics.